A CDA Credential is valid for three years from the award date. A CDA Credential may only be renewed for the original setting, age-level endorsement, and specialization. The purpose of the CDA renewal is to ensure that Child Development Associates are maintaining current knowledge and skills in their work with young children and families.
You can now renew your CDA online with YourCDA. Click here to learn more!
All CDA Renewal Candidates must meet the following five criteria:
- Documented proof of a current Red Cross or other nationally recognized agency First Aid and Infant/Child (Pediatric) CPR certification - the certification must include (1) treatment for blocked airway and (2) provide rescue breathing for infants and young children. Note: Training is not accepted from independent consultants and/or online training.
- Documented proof of one of the following types of training in early childhood education/child development, principles of adult learning, mental health counseling, etc.:
- 4.5 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- a three-credit-hour course
- or 45 clock hours
These hours must be in addition to the original 120 clock hours required when the Candidate obtained the CDA Credential. Bilingual CDAs must meet this requirement with coursework incorporating bilingual education.
- Documented proof of recent (within one year) prior to your renewal, you must have worked a minimum of 80 hours with young children or families. This must be documented in a letter from your supervisor. (Note: The letter from your supervisor should specify, “works with children”.)
- A completed Letter of Recommendation Form regarding the CDA's competence with young children prepared by an early childhood education (ECE) Reviewer. The ECE Reviewer must meet the eligibility requirements.
- Documented proof current membership with a national or local early childhood professional organization. Your membership must be active/current at the time the Council receives your renewal information. This must be an individual membership, not an agency membership.. For a list of National Early Childhood Organizations click here.
Please note that on September 1, 2013, the fee to renew CDA Credentials increased. The Council now charges $100 for processing paper Renewal Applications. Candidates applying online using YourCDA will receive a $25 discount and the new online renewal fee is $75. Make sure to secure your funds before you apply for CDA Renewal, payment is due in full at the time of application.
The renewal process involves three steps:
- Purchase a Renewal Packet: The Renewal Packet applies to all four types of credentials — Center-based Preschool; Center-based Infant/Toddler; Family Child Care; and Home Visitor. A Renewal Packet may be purchased under Materials You Will Need to the left.
- Gather required documentation as outlined above in the five renewal criteria. Specific instructions are provided in the Renewal Packet, including information relative to identifying an early childhood education professional to prepare the recommendation form.
- Apply for the CDA Renewal: if you meet all requirements, you are ready to fill out and submit your CDA Renewal Application. The fastest and easiest way to renew your CDA Credential is to apply online. You may submit your Renewal Application no sooner than six months before your credential expiration date. Note: You must renew your credential before it expires. Your credential will expire 3-years from the date of award.
Upon receipt of the application and supporting documents, Council staff will review the materials for completeness. If all materials are in order, the Council will award the CDA Renewal Credential. If the materials are incomplete, the Council will notify the Renewal Candidate who will be given the opportunity to resolve the problem within a specified time period.
Please mail complete Renewal Application along with all required documentation to:
Council for Professional Recognition
2460 16th St. NW
Washington, DC 20009-3547
TIPS AND TOOLS
- The Council will send you an email reminder when it is time to renew your CDA credential. Please make sure the Council always has your current contact information on file.
- Since you may submit your Renewal Application no sooner than six months before your credential expiration date, make sure to prepare in advance and be ready to submit a complete application with supporting documents when your renewal window opens.
- Please do not mail your Renewal Application to the Council sooner than six months before your credential expiration date.