Dasani wakes up before dawn each day at a homeless shelter in Brooklyn, New York. After slipping out from under the covers, she goes to the window. On a clear day, she can see all...
May 22, 2017
The Council for Professional Recognition (the Council) and Vernon College of Vernon, Texas are supporting Child Development Associate(CDA®) Credential students with new early childhood education (ECE) courses. These classes are to align with the formal ECE training hours required by the Council to obtain a new CDA Credential or renew an existing credential.
“This is a wonderful opportunity for the Council and Vernon College to help ensure CDA students receive the quality early childhood education courses that they need to apply fora CDA,” Valora Washington, chief executive officer for the Council for Professional Recognition said.“Vernon College’s professional development courses serve as a convenient option for students currently working in a center-based, family child care, and/or home visitor setting,who want to pursue classes at Vernon that count towards the 120 hours of formal education training required to earn a CDA credential.”
Vernon College integrates education with opportunity through instructional and student support services by means of traditional learning methods. The school provides career technical/workforce programs up to two years in length leading to: associate degrees or certificates, and employment in semi-skilled and skilled occupations. For CDA Candidates, Child Development Units offered through Vernon College will lead to a Continuing Education Unit for further studies.
ABOUT THE COUNCIL FOR PROFESSIONAL RECOGNITION
The Council for Professional Recognition promotes improved performance and recognition of professionals in the early childhood education of children ages zero to 5 years old. The Council recognizes and credentials professionals who work in all types of early care and education settings –Head Start, pre-k, infant-toddler, family child care, and home visitor programs. As non-profit agency, the Council sets policies and procedures for assessment and credentialing, publishes the industry leading training books and workbooks,including its CDA Competency Standards and Essentials textbook and workbook, both are 2nd edition.
ABOUT VERNON COLLEGE
Vernon College –Century City Center is a comprehensive community college that integrates education with opportunity through our instructional programs and student support services by means of traditional and distance learning modes. Therefore, to fulfill its mission, the College will provide access, within its available resources, to:
- Career technical/workforce programs up to two years in length leading to associate degrees or certificates;
- Career technical/workforce programs leading directly to employment in semi-skilled and skilled occupations;
- Freshman and sophomore courses in arts and sciences, including the new core and field of study curricula leading to associate and baccalaureate degrees;
- Ongoing adult education programs for occupational upgrading or personal enrichment;
- Compensatory education programs designed to fulfill the commitment of an admissions policy allowing the enrollment of disadvantaged students;
- A continuing program of counseling and guidance designed to assist students in achieving their individual educational goals;
- Career technical/workforce development programs designed to meet local and statewide needs;
- Support services for educational programs and college-related activities;
- Adult literacy and other basic skills programs for adults; and
- Such other programs as may be prescribed by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board or local governing boards in the best interest of postsecondary education in Texas.
The CDA Advisory Committee was created to provide insights, perspectives, and best practices to the CDA community and other early childhood professionals. Established during the initial stages of the COVID-19 pandemic, the members’ first-hand experiences...
Where can you connect with CDA® holders and the wide range of folks who serve them? Turn to the Council Alumni Network (CAN), an online community that brings together current and past CDA earners, CDA...
Professional development is absolutely critical to your success, as well as the success of all the children in your care. Not to mention in most states, you’re required to complete a minimum number of training...
This month marks my second year at the Council for Professional Recognition. When I first arrived at the Council, I was no stranger to the organization or its mission, as I had been involved with...
Schools are microcosms of the world beyond their walls. Factors like race, culture, class and gender set the stage for what takes place in our schools as learners from different groups interact. The conflicts that...
There is no denying the academic and emotional impact of the pandemic on children. News websites and TV newscasts are full of stories about the unknown long-term effects of the past two years on kids....
Finding informative and trusted early childhood educator resources online can be a challenge. That’s why the CDA® Advisory Committee met virtually to learn more about the nonprofit, The Source for Learning (SFL) and its ECE...
Each year I update my professional bio and pause at the part where it says, “Rachel Robertson has worked in the field for over X years”. Not because I can’t believe it or can’t remember,...